If you enjoy pancakes fluffy and homemade, then follow this simple recipe to prepare the dreamiest and most delicious pancakes you’ve ever had, from scratch.
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup of milk
3 tbsp melted butter
Mixing bowl, whisk, frying pan, spatula.
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add the milk and egg, followed by the butter, see notes below.
- Whisk ingredients together, and let sit. This short sit, approximately 5 minutes, allows the baking powder to its job.
- Dry Ingredients. You can sift the dry ingredients as you add them, whisk them dry in the bowl before adding wet ingredients, or just dump them in as they are and add the wet ingredients on top.
- Melted Butter. Add the milk and egg. Then, add the melted butter straight out of the microwave. If it’s not entirely melted, but mostly, that’s OK, it doesn’t need to be a complete puddle. The moment the butter hits the milk it starts to cool, and you don’t want that. Get to whisking.
- Milk. The precise quantity of milk you use varies by preference. Use somewhere between 1 ¼ and 1 ½ . Too much milk, and the pancake may not cook through, and the batter will spread wild on the pan. Too little, and you end up with batter that will land on the pan like mashed potato might land onto a plate and hold its shape.
- Texture. If after you whisk and let it sit, you could stick a fork in it and you believe the fork would stand up straight on its own, add a few tablespoons to a ¼ cup of milk and whisk it in.
- Texture. When you get the consistency right, it will hit the pan and spread only a little. Then I lift the pan slightly and shake lightly to get it to spread a little more. If it doesn’t spread even slightly, refer to C.
- Enjoy. Bon Appétit!